About Shanti Lewis
I am an Accredited Counsellor and Qualified Supervisor. I have been the Lead Counsellor for a Bristol-based charity since 2016, where I engage in counselling clients with complex needs, faciliate courses based on Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, lead Mindfulness sessions and supervise counselling volunteers and other staff members (both individually and in groups).
I have been in Private Practice since 2004 and, prior to this, was a self-employed Stress Management Consultant. I have been both a Counselling Lecturer and Adult Education Tutor for Counselling Courses. In addition, I have worked as a counsellor in the NHS, in Higher Education and in a Hospice. In other roles, I have supported people with disabilities, older people and those with severe Mental Health issues.
I work in a Person-Centred, empathic and relational way bringing all of my skills, knowledge and awareness to our working relationship.
My background in Mindfulness practice means I gently and compassionately remain present to you while you explore any difficult issues or feelings that are troubling you. I support you to process them, without judging you in any way. Where appropriate, I can help you bring more awareness to your body, revealing possible links between your mental and emotional states and your body sensations.
I am equally at home in working creatively with you, if this helps you express yourself e.g. using basic art materials and other objects that I make available in the space. Of course, you are free to bring your own personal art, writing or objects with you to each session if they support you to connect with deeper thoughts and feelings.
- Health-Related Issues
- Loss & Bereavement
- Confidence & Self-Esteem
- Embodied Movement
My Specialisms Include:
If you would like to know more about how I work with individuals or supervision, click below:
Training & Qualifications
- Advanced Diploma in Relational Supervision (2017-18, Severn Talking Therapy)
- Embodied Dance Journey Facilitator (2015-17, The Dancing Heart Path School, CZ)
- Certificate in Spiritual Companionship (2008-09, Foundation for Holistic Spirituality)
- Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy (2001-03, University of Warwick)
- Certificate in Person-Centred (Rogerian) Counselling (2000-01, University of Warwick)
- Diploma in Stress Management (1999-2000, Kevala Centre, International Yoga School)
- Certificate in Psychology (1999-2000, University of Warwick)
Other Experience & Professional Development
- 'How to do Counselling Online: Coronavirus Primer' (July-2020, Open University)
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (2019, Association of Psychological Therapies)
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) & Energy Tools (2018, LouAnne Lachmann)
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy & Suicide Prevention (2013, John Henderson Consultancy)
- Solution-Focused Communication (2011, Zebra Collective)
- Trainer in 'The Endorphin Effect' (2009, Foundation for Holistic Spirituality)
- Reconnective Healing & 'The Reconnection' (2008-15, Dr Eric Pearl's Worldwide Team)
- Lecturer in Counselling at Certificate & Diploma Levels (2007-08, Warwickshire College)
- Reiki I, II & Master Level (2003-08, Tracy Webb, Reiki Master Teacher)
- Stress Management Consultant & Trainer (2000-03, RealizeIt Consultancy Ltd)
I am an Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and adhere to their ethical framework. BACP has a formal route through which complaints can be heard if they cannot be resolved, in the first instance, by talking to me - more information is available on BACP's website.
In addition to continuing professional development, I am in on-going supervision for all my therapeutic work.