About Michael Forrest
I am an Accredited Counsellor & Psychotherapist who has been working with individuals and couples since 2005. In the same year, I gained certification as a Trainer in Nonviolent Communication (NVC). I have since worked in a Hospice as a Bereavement Counsellor and the NHS as a Psychotherapist. I also worked for Social Services out-of-hours Emergency Duty Team for 12 years, supporting families in crisis, through conflict resolution and mediation.
I have over 30 years’ experience in Mindfulness. My training started in my mid-20s as a Theravada Buddhist Monk, through to my early 30s. Nowadays, it enables me to work with a subtle body-based awareness of what’s happening, moment-to-moment, in the therapeutic relationship. I endeavour to live and work in an embodied-relational way using a synthesis of approaches I have learnt and been trained in. Initially, this was to heal my own trauma, but subsequently, these have become an integrated part of me and my therapeutic work.
I work in an embodied-relational way, offering a safe and empathic presence in which you can explore the challenges and difficulties you may be facing. I make no assumptions about what skills, abilities and knowledge you already have for this kind of emotional work, nor what you may want from any session. Over time, I support you to develop self-awareness tools and skills to help you manage life experiences.
Experiencing at a 'felt sense' or bodily level, what has hitherto been avoided is the key to resolving trauma. It is often the gateway to understanding and insight as well. I aim to stay present to your needs as they emerge, which allows you to connect to them more fully and so explore how best to meet them. I am commited to meeting you and your issues with empathy, understanding and compassion.
- Anger Issues
- Relationship Issues
- Loss & Bereavement
- Confidence & Self-Esteem
- Embodied Movement
My Specialisms Include:
If you would like to know more about how I work with individuals or couples, click below:
Training & Qualifications
- Certificate in Relational Therapy (2020 - Relational School of Therapy)
- Embodied Dance Journey Facilitator (2015-17, The Dancing Heart Path School, CZ)
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative & Humanistic Counselling (2009-11, Dartmoor Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Certified Trainer in Non-Violent Communication (NVC) (2001-05, Centre for Nonviolent Communication)
- Certificate in Focusing Skills (2001 - British Focusing Association)
- Foundation in Core Process Psychotherapy (1998-99, Karuna Institute)
- 30+ Years Mindfulness Practice, Mindfulness Facilitator
- Trainer in Nonviolent Communication (NVC), working with individuals and groups
- 12 Years Social Services Emergency Duty Team, providing mediation and crisis support to families and supporting individuals with mental health issues (2002-14)
- Hospice Bereavement Counsellor (2010-13)
- Psychotherapist NHS Trust (2009-11)
- Co-Facilitator of Trauma Skills Training for Counsellors (2005-07 Sri Lanka)
- Co-Founder of Floatation & Complementary Health Centre (1996-98)
- Buddhist Monk, Thai Forrest Tradition, Mindfulness Training (1988-95)
I am an Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and adhere to their ethical framework. BACP has a formal route through which complaints can be heard if they cannot be resolved, in the first instance, by talking to me - more information is available on BACP's website.
In addition to continuing professional development, I am in on-going supervision for all my therapeutic work.