About Michael Forrest
I work with a mindfulness based and embodied-relational approach and have over 30 years’ experience in Mindfulness. My training started in my mid-20s as a Theravada Buddhist Monk, through to my early 30s. Nowadays, it enables me to work with a subtle body-based awareness of what’s happening, moment-to-moment, in the therapeutic relationship. I endeavour to live and work in an embodied-relational way using a synthesis of approaches I have learnt and been trained in. Initially, this was to heal my own trauma, but subsequently, these have become an integrated part of me and my therapeutic work.
I am a BACP accredited counsellor and psychotherapist and I have been working with individuals and couples since 2005. In the same year, I became a certified trainer in Nonviolent Communication (NVC). Since then, I have worked as a bereavement counsellor in a hospice and psychotherapist in the NHS. I also worked for social services, out-of-hours emergency duty team, for 12 years - supporting families in crisis, through conflict resolution and mediation. I am currently enrolled on a Advanced Diploma in Relational Supervision and I am offering reduced cost supervision.
I work in an embodied-relational way, offering a safe and empathic presence in which you can explore the challenges and difficulties you may be facing. I make no assumptions about what skills, abilities and knowledge you already have for this kind of emotional work. Neither do I assume what you may want or need from any particular session. Over time, I support you to develop self-awareness skills and tools so you can navigate life with more ease.
I can help you process and integrate challenging life experiences by supporting you to connect to your 'felt sense' or bodily sensations. Safely meeting what has otherwise been avoided is the key to resolving many things including trauma. It can also be the gateway to understanding and insight. I aim to stay present to your emerging needs throughout this process. I am commited to meeting you and your issues with empathy, understanding and compassion.
- Anger Issues
- Relationship Issues
- Loss & Bereavement
- Confidence & Self-Esteem
- Embodied Movement
My Specialisms Include:
To read more about Michael's work, click the images below:
Training & Qualifications
- Certificate in Relational Therapy (2020 - Relational School of Therapy)
- Embodied Dance Journey Facilitator (2015-17, The Dancing Heart Path School, CZ)
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative & Humanistic Counselling (2009-11, Dartmoor Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Certified Trainer in Non-Violent Communication (NVC) (2001-05, Centre for Nonviolent Communication)
- Certificate in Focusing Skills (2001 - British Focusing Association)
- Foundation in Core Process Psychotherapy (1998-99, Karuna Institute)
- 30+ Years Mindfulness Practice, Mindfulness Facilitator
- Trainer in Nonviolent Communication (NVC), working with individuals and groups
- 12 Years Social Services Emergency Duty Team, providing mediation and crisis support to families and supporting individuals with mental health issues (2002-14)
- Hospice Bereavement Counsellor (2010-13)
- Psychotherapist NHS Trust (2009-11)
- Co-Facilitator of Trauma Skills Training for Counsellors (2005-07 Sri Lanka)
- Co-Founder of Floatation & Complementary Health Centre (1996-98)
- Buddhist Monk, Thai Forrest Tradition, Mindfulness Training (1988-95)
I am an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and work to their ethical framework. They have a formal process for hearing complaints if they cannot be resolved by talking to me. I am continually growing and developing as a professional and have supervision for all my therapeutic work.